Greetings from the UCI Campus!
It’s a rather gray morning (for Orange County…meaning that it’ll probably be gorgeous in about an hour) and I’m putting in some hours in the office before I head out to two employer visits and a networking event this afternoon. “Meeting employers” is pretty high priority on my weekly to-do list here at UCI, so I thought I’d share some insight what exactly I’m trying to do. As it turns out, the employers I meet while out and about generally fall into two groups…
Group 1 – Employers that are already recruiting UCI students
To do list:
• Introduce myself and my position, and let them know about the rest of the Employer Relations team here at UCI. Not many realize that there are professional staff members on campus here to help support their recruiting efforts
• Meet the people and personalities behind their online job positing
• Get a sense of their organization, culture, values, and of the responsibilities associated with their current job openings.
• Learn about their industry so I can accurately describe their opportunities to the rest of my team
• Give them an idea of what kind of options they have when recruiting UCI students (the traditional online job posting is just the tip of the iceberg)
Group 2 – Employers that are not currently recruiting UCI students
To do list:
• Covertly mention the high caliber of our students, and their readiness for employment/internships
• Cross my fingers that they become part of Group #1
Okay, there’s maybe a little more to working with Group 2, but that will have to wait for another post.
As always, see you out there!